There are several benefits to buying books from independent children’s book publishers rather than large, commercial retailers like Amazon. Here are a few key points to consider:
- Supporting local businesses: When you purchase from an independent publisher, you are directly supporting a small business and the local economy. This is especially important in today’s climate, as small businesses are facing unprecedented challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Promoting diversity and inclusivity: Independent publishers are often more likely to publish diverse and inclusive books, reflecting the experiences and perspectives of a wider range of communities. By supporting these publishers, you can help ensure that all children have access to books that reflect their own identities and experiences.
- Quality control: Independent publishers often have more rigorous quality control processes in place, as they have smaller teams and may not have the same resources as larger publishers. This means you can have confidence that the books you purchase from independent publishers are of a high standard.
- Personal touch: Buying from an independent publisher often means dealing directly with the people who are passionate about the books they produce. This can be a more personal and rewarding experience, as you may be able to engage with the publisher and get a better understanding of their values and motivations.
Purchasing books from independent children’s book publishers not only supports the publisher itself, but it also has a positive impact on the authors associated with the publisher. Here are a few ways in which buying from an independent publisher can help authors:
- Greater earnings: Independent publishers often have a more equitable revenue sharing model in place, meaning that authors may earn a higher percentage of the sale price of their books. This can be especially important for early career authors or those who may not have a large following yet.
- Creative control: Authors who work with independent publishers may have more control over the creative direction of their work. This can be especially appealing for writers who value artistic autonomy and want to have a say in how their work is presented to readers.
- Stronger relationships: Working with an independent publisher often means developing close, personal relationships with the publisher and their team. This can be a rewarding experience for authors, as they can feel more connected to the publishing process and have more opportunity to collaborate and receive feedback.
By choosing to buy books from independent children’s book publishers, you can help support the authors associated with those publishers and ensure that they are able to continue creating and sharing their work with the world.
In summary, buying books from independent children’s book publishers has numerous benefits, including supporting local businesses, promoting diversity and inclusivity, ensuring high quality standards, and enjoying a more personal shopping experience.